SUGGESTED AFTERCARE GUIDLINES FOR TATTOOS
These guidelines are based on a combination of vast professional experience, common sense, research and extensive clinical practice. This is not to be considered a substitute for medical advice from a doctor. Be aware, however, that many doctors have no specific training or experience regarding tattoos and may not be educated on how to best assist you.
If you have any questions, or concerns please contact us at 508.533.1369.
Visions Tattoo, Piercing & Art Gallery suggests that you follow these easy steps to promote a healthy tattoo:
- Before cleaning your tattoo, wash hands thoroughly with antibacterial soap and water. NEVER touch your tattoo with dirty hands.
- After two hours, carefully remove the bandage.
- Using an antibacterial soap and water, gently rub the area to remove all residue and dried up blood. DO NOT scrub the tattoo! Rinse and PAT (do not rub) dry with a clean towel or cloth and apply a fresh bandage.
- Continue cleaning the tattoo three times a day for two days and apply a fresh bandage each time.
- Two days after getting your tattoo, switch to a mild, unscented hand lotion such as Curel, Vaseline Intensive Care SKIN lotion, Aveeno, or Eucerin. Apply a VERY thin layer of lotion 2 times a day. Be careful not to accidentally rub off any dry skin when applying lotion.
- Healing time differs but is usually between 7-14 days. The tattoo will flake and peel much like a sunburn while it heals. This is normal. DO NOT PICK THE TATTOO! Some people find that after the flakes have fallen off, an opaque film may be left that hides some of the color in your tattoo. This film is the new skin growing over the tattoo and it should clear up in a few weeks.
- Itching is to be expected while healing, DO NOT SCRATCH OR PICK THE TATTOO!
- While your tattoo is healing it is highly recommended to wear loose fitting clothing as to not damage the tattoo.
- For two weeks, avoid direct sun exposure, swimming, soaking in a tub, sauna or steam bath.
- After the tattoo is completely healed; when out in the sun, always put a SPF 30 to 50 sun block over the tattoo to keep colors bright and to prolong the life of your tattoo.
- Please consult a physician at any sign of infection or allergic reaction. Please report any diagnosed infection or allergic reaction by calling the studio.
How you take care of your tattoo is your responsibility once you leave the studio.
If you have any questions regarding your tattoo, please contact the studio at 508.533.1369.